At first it was a cacophony, its electrical echo all over the place. The microphone magnified the unruly sound, shattering the morning silence that usually surrounded the center.
It came from my alma matter. When I looked, the field opposite was packed with huge tents, each housing students. It was their Sports Day.
Seconds passed and the noise became slightly clearer: an emcee was loudly announcing the names of the winners, blissfully ignoring the errant audio waves. The victors' names were followed by their Houses. When a particular event is about to begin, I could judge the interest level of the students by the loudness of their cheers and screams.
I got down from the car, looking at the event playing out before me. The whole thing, in all honesty, was poorly done, but it was familiarly so.
I tried to remember the rush inside when waiting for the referee's whistle. All was quiet when the runners were on the line, their arms spread like wings perched on a cliff. I recalled straining to hear the whistle over the increased pumping of my heart, afraid that a good head start will evade me if I did not get myself under control.
The whistle shrilled into the air, and with a great push, the runners leaped and sprinted, while the crowd was finally released into euphoria. Each cheered their own champions, with all eyes focused on the favorites when only fifty meters was left.
I remember, with egotistical accuracy, my own name escaping from the lips of the crowd. Not all of them were in my House, but we all share the same ethnicity. It helped a lot that I was the only yellow complexion against the dark and brown ones.
The noise did not bother me any more.
No comments:
Post a Comment