Search This Blog

Saturday, 25 September 2010

Sidelines

Watched the famous American programme, you know, the Idol one? Where all and sundry comes into the room and try to get the ticket. I know, I didn't want to mention its name in full, to avoid unnecessary traffic...
I think the main reason for the majority to try their luck there is the motivation to attain popularity? And it *is* a strong desire, so powerful, I even saw a 27-year-old worship pastor auditioning, and got the coveted ticket.

It seems, for some at least, this desire stays at home, like shadows they stick to you, for a very, very long time. Till it's long enough to become your personal definition.

Popularity is a very juicy fruit. Pleasant to the eye and sweet to the lips. I view it rather sceptically though. Without sacrifices on one's own part, popularity could be a rather high order to achieve. A popular person means he/she is well-liked by people, and when people, a lot of them, come into the picture, things become a lil bit more complex.

To be popular is to be liked. In that process of being liked, could there be compromises? My dad used to tell me that not everyone can like you, nor can you like everyone; I would think of it as a social impossibility. Sometimes, to gain popularity, I see people trying their best, their so very hard best, to do what's needed, or what they think is needed. Some would gain it in due course, perhaps because of a musical related talent, or sporting prowesses, or even just a pretty face... Some fail despite their gallant efforts. The more serious the popularity, so are the accompanied efforts in their severity.

Whatever the outcome, it seems clear that popularity, along with everything required to gain it, changes a person. Popularity dictates the norm, the trend, and whatnot, and demands those not in compliance to be benched on the sidelines, or even banished to the bleachers.

I used to heavily promote this blog. I put its link on every possible and impossible visible place, convenient for all to click and visit. I spoke to people, whether or not they are bloggers, and always rounded up the conversation with this blog.

I tried hard, and got partial success.

I would wish to say that it lasted; I still find it wonderful to have somebody's comment on a particular post. Quite the contrary, I found it difficult to sustain, and people's interests started going else where. After a barrage of 'emo' posts, I discovered that popularity, even in the blogging sense, is simply a fickle friend. Only a handful readers read now, and fewer comment still. I'm quite heartened and happy to welcome this blog's 29th follower though. (:

It gets worst when one defines one's own value through the popularity yardstick. If you are unpopular, it means something is wrong with you. Never mind if you could be right, because Popularity does not care. It is concerned with the 'like' factor, not its correctness. To have the majority on your side, succumb to its whims and demands, with a little more innovation.

Gah. Life would be so much easier if we could live like our true selves, and our true selves only, subject to refinement over mortal
years. It is a significant and substantial part of our lives when we begin to know ourselves, a
nd seek our own respective identities. To add popularity into this already very capricious cauldron brings up frowns. It means we sought after those most heavily worshiped, and want to be a part of them, while forgetting that we are the ultimate designs of God Himself, unique and beautiful, but suppressed by this despicable desire of the flesh.

On a brighter note, you have read this, and much good I hope it does to you. It is not a sin to want to be popular; quite the contrary, popularity serves many good purposes. It is the process of procuring it that matters, and its impact on ourselves.

We would need some help along the way, constant and loving help.





=P

2 comments:

Wilber said...

haha, 29th reader is my friend XD I asked him to read your blogs

Ivan said...

lolx