Search This Blog

Thursday, 13 May 2010

Badminton Reflection

I never had much enthusiasm for the sport. It is a social event to me, and I play hard during those events. After that, nothing else. The only Cup I know is Thomas Cup; I didn't even know there was a Uber Cup until this year.

Unfortunately, it is the sport in which Malaysia excels the most.

Whatever my disregards, it is always nice to have something for Malaysians close at home to cheer about, or to see our guys on the TV screen in action, something positive rather than all those bad publicity about our nation.

Badminton is something that most Malaysians care about, because we know that we are good at it. We have world-class quality. I was looking for a seat in a packed restaurant, and the game was on, live. I stood and finally sat down to watch the match till the end (Wong C H lost =x). I was not alone in doing this. Many stopped and watched for an average of a minute. Interesting and fascinating is it not, people caring for the sport, even when it's Malaysian? That's a wonder in Malaysia, I think. Fewer people will stop at a newsstand to read.

Today is May 13. Big black dot.

We have Malaysians wanting to remind or notify people about this event. I don't know about their objectives, but surely this is unnecessary. A rally on top of that will certainly bring about totally unwarranted emotions.

I feel bad. What I see in TV is a stadium full of Malaysians, tarak kira your bangsa, cheering our team on. They have banners and drums and exotic dresses. Some put on paints and other Malaysian-styled items. They follow the players' attacks and defends with their voice. Nobody is looking at the person's skin. Each point gives the crowd something to shout about, while each mistake elicits a groan. His or her skill was of the greatest importance. Not one person among the crowd stood to object the representation of Malaysia by a sepet mata, or a prince of soil, or a thambi. Every Malaysian unite against the opposing player.

Now, we have people wanting to remember May 13, for the wrong purpose. I suppose the Cup's games will be delayed or even cancelled, if there is another eruption. Malaysians will revert back to looking at skins. There will be no cheering or groaning. Badminton becomes second fiddle.

Know the May 13 history, and avoid it. We should all be opposing the common enemy, together. There is no benefit in infighting, but every disadvantage to it.

We were all meant to shine, like children do. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others the permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Away with the May 13 fear. Welcome, light of the future.

No comments: