Search This Blog

Friday, 9 November 2012

Youth Parliament 2012

I have been joining the Penang Youth Parliament since its very first inception in 2010, as the final and featured event of the Local Democracy Festival. Since then, it has improved by leaps and bounds and made young Penangites proud, to the envy of youths from other states.

In many ways, the 2012 Penang Youth Parliament is more comprehensive and versatile than its predecessors. Its activities were spread out in three days and two nights, ranging from participation at an intellectual forum to many team-building interactive sessions aimed at instilling better understanding of a democracy and fostering closer ties among the multiracial youths. The truly amazing part was – all of it was free!

The highlight of this project was, of course, the convention of the Penang Youth Parliament in the august Dewan Undangan Negeri. I remember our Dato’ Speaker, in his closing remarks at the 2011 Youth Parliament held at the City Town Hall, said that he will put forward his best efforts to have youths convening in the House itself next year ala Parliament. Being our natural, cynical youthful selves everyone merely clapped and put the matter to rest. He has delivered his promise, and Penang is indeed lucky to have him.

Judging by the reception of youngsters towards this event, I would venture to say that the interest in understanding the workings of democratic institutions has slowly trickled into the lives of youths. For the first time, we see for ourselves what it is really like behind the high walls of the DUN. We relished the opportunity to dress smartly – like the politicians we will replace someday – and debate motions close to our hearts, while carefully observing the kind of etiquette sometimes absent from the proceedings of our adult counterparts.

This brings to my mind the truth of an aphorism: tell me and I’ll forget, show me and I may remember, involve me and I’ll understand. The involvement of young people in the democratic process augurs well for the flourishing of a more mature democracy, of which an entire nation benefits as her future leaders are groomed with care and given a place in society to voice out their thoughts.

May democracy, in its best form and substance, thrives in state and country!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a Penang Youth Parliament. What is it about and who is it open to?

Niel said...

A parliament for, of and by youths. They have it every year and the next. If you want to know more can add me in fb.