Search This Blog

Thursday, 9 December 2010

Update

Hello everybody. It's been a while.


It seems like things had been on non-stop since I came back from the youth camp. For now, I'm looking at another camp, starting this Sunday at the same place and for the same duration. This one is supposed to be a little.. older and I hope it would turn out alright. 


I'm glad to say here that after the weekend prom and all, true liberation is here. Going home was the right choice. I could not bear to hear my own thoughts, so I sought others instead. Thanks to those who took the time and trouble to listen, you know who you are. These circles of support have been both warm and assuring, and now that I'm back on my feet I am grateful. Family and friends. =]


I was fortunate enough to be invited to join the first event of Penang's 'democracy week' - the Youth Parliament. Issues and affairs of the state have always warrant my attention and concern, and being able to participate in this event comprising of many youths was a great exposure and experience for me. The place was a beauty too, with its wooden halls and soft music. 


I did not prepare any motions to table, and was hesitant to join in the debates due to my coughing condition. As the flow starts rolling, however, I began to think of standing up and talking, especially when a girl became the first Ahli to speak! I'm no sexist, just that it was a prompt prodding, that's all! 


These debates are, in many ways, testing grounds for oneself. I think the most  important thing is to learn how to think on one's feet. Of course, the courage to want to stand up and talk cannot be missing. By the way, the entire proceedings were conducted in our national language. Nothing wrong there.


I have a few thoughts to share. I used to think that oratory skills, language and whatnot, are only attributes. I could not understand when the adults say 'this guy can really talk well'. Participating in this event changed this thought. Not all are blessed with the gift of speech, and it was obvious that day. Being able to think and formulate ideas in one's head, and then delivering them in an attractive and charismatic manner is not easy feat, and not all can master it. Seems strange, but that's how it is. I cannot help but feel irritated when some of the Ahlis who cannot really speak kept standing up to do so, and it was a shared sentiment. Their courage was admirable though.


When it was 12.30pm I had to leave reluctantly to attend class. In the end I missed the headline, which saw everybody at the front page of the Northern region edition newspaper!


That's all for now. Just because there is the word 'prom' up there you cannot expect pretty pictures here can you? Go to facebook lar. :p


Youth Parliament.
Voting.
Hariszuan, a Political Science Masters delivering his thoughts.

2 comments:

Kae Vin said...

Cool event! Organized by the state govt?

Niel said...

and suaram pg.