Search This Blog

Thursday, 6 May 2010

Mother's Day

I told my mother, or rather I sent a text upon arriving, wishing her a happy Mother's Day.

She replied saying I was thoughtful and thanked me.

I was not being thoughtful; merely grateful. But that was all it took to touch my tired mother's heart. I have done too little.

I wonder how many will remember. Everyone, it seems to me, are obsessed with themselves, partners and friends. The mood for special days like Mother's Day is relatively thin in the air, as compared to heavy favourites like Valentines and whatnot. It's really a pity.

Or is it a sign of people tending to focus more and more on themselves?

The reference to parents society makes are not usually reflective of their supposed gratitude. The terms used, such as old and nagging and ridiculous, connote a growing trend of disrespect and arrogance. The fact that we owe our existence to them is conveniently forgotten, very much so in the face of new pretty/handsome couples.

It took her 9 months for this.

No comments: