Search This Blog

Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Third Party

I knew it, right on the spot, when I saw her walking into the room. I wasn't the only one it seemed; many heads turned too, and their expressions... like hers, unfathomable.

She was unnerved, that much was certain. Walking with head down and anxious eyes peeking behind her hair. I suppose she did not know how to wear like people here as well. But apart from the uneasiness and the apparent awkwardness, she was fine, more than fine. Just fine.

She took the seat behind most of the class, not wanting to meet anyone's curious glance. We rarely get any new people here, and she did look quite peculiar. I could not stop myself from throwing a few glances too.

I was anxious to talk to this girl, seemingly from other planet than Earth. I wanted to speak nicely, as to not make her feel uncomfortable. Then I wanted to make her feel at home, introduce some of my friends to her. May be we can be friends, or so I hoped.

Startled was her expression. I wondered if I was the first to speak to her. She did not seemed to want to prolong any conversation; all I got was her name and she was off. I tried my best and smiled and made small laughs, but it was a mystery whether she took that nicely.

As the days go by, she joined in the group and ate with us. I tried to make small talk, but most of my efforts were evaded gracefully. I wasn't the only guy doing that, and this complicated things. She rarely looked comfortable with conversations. At times she looked forced.

There are times when immaturity hides certain things from youthful eyes. There are certain instances when the heart is hidden from understanding. I suppose I was at this crossroad, when it all happened to her and us.

All of a sudden she was sitting there, separated from us by a long shot. I did not understand, and I relied on rumours. I looked for traces of evidence.

She was more...natural with them. She flushed when talking with them, and that's colour I have never seen during her days with us. Her eyes shined brightly and her features magnified magnificently. A group's worth of laughter would never elicit that from our new classmate.

Soon she comes to class with them, in their car.

I suppose that we just aren't good enough. That is some bitterness in that thought, but I could not think of another. May be the sight of us did not look welcoming. It could be the fault of the girls in our group, and then the guys who cannot wait to jump on her. I do not know. My resources have been exhausted, and really I cannot find another idea to befriend.

Perhaps this is all destiny. Some people are just... different.

1 comment:

Somebody said...

it's enough u do ur part. Lord knows.