Search This Blog

Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Your Fate My Fate

Today was just like another day, with a little bit of travelling and pondering.

I don't want this posting to sound solemn or sober, rueful or sad, but if u hear me saying this, my tone would be a flat one, one that is used to state facts instead of relaying emotions and sentiments.

Throughout most of our lives, competition is rarely absent. Not official ones, but underground comparing each and every one's fortune. It is common, even blatant. I do not really like it when people ask me how am I doing, and then proceed to say something like 'Oh, that means you are very fast already la. Faster than me' , or 'Hey, that means you're slower than XXX la' .

I personally think that such people belittle the meaning of life with these petty comparisons.

Fate. I once told a girl who compared in the above manner: each of us have our own life to live, and each of us have our own destiny to follow. This thread of fate will eventually end with death, where we will return to where we belong.

We study hard, we play hard, and actually it all requires us to give out our best. The rest, if you believe in God, should be left to Him. There is really no point to compare as long as you have given your best shot.

Oh, but my culture does not buy this saying. Everything, it is about comparing. You see it everywhere. Whether it is a mother asking another about her son's results, or a friend trying to compare which path will beat his friend's, they are all comparing. And for the record, make sure you win, hook or crook, or be ready to be flooded by their saliva, literally.

It's not late, according to my own standards, but I am trying to make a point to sleep early every night.

p/s: 'see,we are not old' - Jenny Grogan, Marley & Me.

5 comments:

Fish The Great said...

Haha, the kia su culture. maybe comparisons can make someone strive for better results?make someone do better in whatever they are doing?

Somebody said...

sad case~ people live for comparison...do u think student will study if after exam, the school never label who as the first, second and third??
But,I know Christians won't. I have seen it with my own eyes. In my college, there's really an obvious difference between believers and non-believers.

JerryNg said...

人比人气死人^^

Anonymous said...

i like wat jerry said... haha




-colgate-

Niel said...

Fish: yes, but not in the unhealthy way we are practising.

rachel: yea, thr is a difference

jerry: lol yea.

koge: =p