2 Do not be quick with your mouth,
do not be hasty in your heart
to utter anything before God.
God is in heaven
and you are on earth,
so let your words be few.
3 As a dream comes when there are many cares,
so the speech of a fool when there are many words.
4 When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. 5 It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. 6 Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands? 7 Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.
Ahh... the effect of this verse had on me! I had an idea there and then.
Growing up in church and in a Christian family, I know many of those Christian stuff. I've heard countless of sermons and preachings, listened to numerous songs and hymns of praise and worship, and almost finished the Bible(I got 'Bible Scholar for the Bible quiz in Facebook :P).
So I had learnt to take them for granted. I've known them all, I used to think. There is nothing to surprise me.
How wrong was I!
The verse came as a brick to my face. God gently yet firmly reminded me that I have not kept my promise to Him. Guilt and embarrassment poured upon me as I sat reminiscing about those promises I made during 'moments of passion and conviction mixed together' in camps and etc. Oh yes, I had promised the sky to God, vowing to serve him and bla bla bla. They are not supposed to be bla bla bla, but my forgetting them after those moments made me bla bla bla. I have been a fool thinking myself to be well-versed.
But that was not all. As I prayed for forgiveness, I sensed a deeper feeling. God told me to move on as His disciples. The Devil is never afraid of people being Christians, but he trembles when people chooses to be God's true disciples. And the meaning of a true disciple, as I interpreted it, is to serve God with all our hearts and soul.
Yes. Spending my childhood and adolescence in the church had led me to know of God's love and the Gospel. But I had stopped at that level, stagnant. I have not thought of spreading the Gospel to others. In fact, that is my weakness.
The truth sank in. Now that I realised God's mission for His disciples, I shall go forth and do His bidding. I will tell this to my fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord, and then to them who have not received Christ Jesus as their Saviour. For the Bible tells us that the harvest is plentiful, but few are the workers!
In God we trust. Forever and ever is His name exalted~
1 comment:
yea...in God we trust!Hallelujah!
Post a Comment