Me and my family reached Grandma's house at about 4pm. She was most pleased to see us. After all, it had been a very long time. From what I observed, she is still looking pink and radiant. We unloaded the car and went into the merciful shelter of the house.
My legs were numb from hours of sitting cross-legged in the car. I looked around the house. Everything was just like I remembered, and a few piece of furniture had been added here and there. The familiar scent of this house is one I haven't smelled for years, and it brought back so many fond memories. We used to come over here rather often in the past, but as me and my brothers begin to grow up we just couldn't chuck everything into the drain and come all the way up here to Johor. Grandma's house is just like a missing jigsaw puzzle to me, and now I have found in under the closet!
It was 5pm in the evening. I was sitting in front of the TV set, flicking the channels. That was when I heard the sound of a basketball. I mean, the sound of it being dribbled. I smacked my head. Of course, there has always been a basketball court in front of the house. And where's a court, there're players and ball!
Me, Lucas and Zhen Kai strapped on our shoes and joined the local kids on the court. They looked older than they really are; I found that out when we exchanged friendly words. After some warming up we played a game of 3 0n 3. That really exhausted my team. I haven't played basketball very often even after the SPM, and my bro and Zhen Kai were just freshly out from a 1-month camp. Our stamina was lousy. However we did enjoy the game with our new friends. They're merry and jolly, and that eased things up.
More kids joined the floor as 6pm strikes. To my utter amazement, a girl was among them! And no, she wasn't here to watch her boyfriend thrash the guys. No sir, she was wearing her basketball high-heels shoes and carrying a basketball in one hand! Forgive me, but I have had never got to see such a sight in Nibong Tebal. It was simply news to me. I watched her joining the boys for the game while I was catching my breath. In my mind I was trying to digest this piece of information. Exaggerating. As the famous Malay idiom goes-Lain padang lain belalang. Literally it means different fields have different types of grasshoppers. I think you brilliant readers understand totally this.
1 comment:
lol. Hmm u r not updating ur blog in a chronological way. I was about to ask u are u in Johor now?
Well u should take a picture of her ma.
It's not all impossible to see girls playing basketball but it's just rare.
and don't siasui Nibong Tebal punya basketball skill lo.
Post a Comment