Search This Blog

Monday, 18 August 2008

Sounds of shoes screeching filled the evening, mingled with the heavy breathing of boys playing basketball and sepak takraw. I was engaged in a battle, a one-on-one basketball game. Sweating, occasionally cracking a joke, I was yet to know what lies ahead of me, besides the highly-anticipated match between M’sia and China.

The news came in the form of a familiar figure in red, pulling up beside the court. One look confirmed his identity; he’s a friend. He took off his helmet, and broke the news in calm tones. It took me a second to digest, and then it hit me: Marcus. I collected my stuff, sprinted to my motorcycle and speed my way. All kinds of thoughts filled my mind, but one thought stood out; get home as fast as you can.

Storming through the door, I caught side of my mum. Her look ascertained the truth. She then proceeded to tell me the entire story: Marcus had been playing at the stairs again. He was sweating, and very carelessly lost his footing. As he fell, his arm was caught in the bars, and it sort of ‘broke’. Mum told me the excruciating details, which I won’t disclose here.

All moods were gone. Lee Chong Wei’s abysmal performance did nothing to help Malaysia and the solemn atmosphere. Mum would often look up from her work to see the top-of-form Lin Dan deliver a speedy death blow and shattered the Malaysian’s poor defence. The match was over in 39 minutes, with China emerged victorious.

Dad came home. He looked tired, and worry lines etched themselves across his face. His eyes met mine, and silently we entered the house, and Mum began her interrogating. They discussed for a few moments, in which I left the spot. I would hate to hear the same details all over again; they speared my feelings with a cold ended blade.

Elusive, isn’t it, how events turn and swirled? Elusive, isn’t it, how the Gold slipped from Malaysia’s hands? You never know what’s going to happen, until they happen and left behind some monster for you to tackle.

I guess I will be sleeping alone tonight. Both brothers are currently at the hospital. I pray to you God, give both of them the courage and grace to endure this. God you know, you always knew. This is not the first time, nor the second.

You feel me right now? You feel me?

No comments: