‘…Dengan ini, berakhirlah Mini Marathon SMK Seri Nibong…bla bla bla…’ The MC’s voice boomed over the din of the crowd. Students were getting up; winners gathered their winnings while others were busy cracking inaudible jokes. I was helped to my feet, feeling glad that the day is over. It is always tiring whenever I finished a marathon. My muscles were screaming in protest and my entire body stank. It’s time to go home…
Slumping slightly, I followed the crowd. My friends were busy discussing something, but my eyes were searching the crowd hungrily for someone else. Ah…There she is. She looked equally tired, her long ponytail hanging lifelessly at her back while carrying her pink rucksack. I wonder how such a tiny and fragile girl could even finish the whole run on time. Of course they ran shorter distance, but still.…No offence here girls…=.=
I reached my motorcycle, bade goodbye to my friends and ignited the engine. It roared into life and with a single turn I speeded out of the school gate. The wind blew hard; I felt it against my face. Then I saw her in the distance, with her umbrella shielding her from the scorching sun rays. Upon hearing my drumming noise, she turned her face and we looked at each other, wordlessly, for a fraction of second…My heart pumped a little faster, and within myself I struggled. ‘Should I go for it? Ask her whether she needed a lift’? ‘Go for it man! You can do it!’! ‘But I’m not sure about this…not sure about myself…what if I got rejected? What if she prefers to walk rather then I bothering her…Besides, her nosy friends would surely spread the news. That’s the last thing I want’! ‘Hurry up! Make your mind! She’s getting closer’!
I swerved and turned into the corner. Seconds were precious as gems while I still couldn’t reach a decision. In the end, cowardice got the better of me. I fed more power to my engines as I whizzed past her. It was like the ending of a wonderful and powerful song, the beginning of a slow sad tune… Why can’t I just pluck the courage? Where are my guts when I needed them? Conflicts raged inside my head. I smiled and thought about the irony: ‘why is this guy-girl thing so hard to decide? If she was a ‘he’, I would have no problem at all in stopping and asking whether he needs a lift. If and only…. sigh~’
James Blunt’s ‘You’re Beautiful’ seemed to fit into this. The lyrics were sad and the rhythm melancholic: ‘You’re beautiful…It’s true…I saw your face…In a crowded place…And I don’t know what to do…Cuz I’ll never be with you…’
I will never be with you….
No comments:
Post a Comment